Importance of Mental Health Awareness
Mental Health is one crucial aspect of our health, in all the stages of our life. It includes emotional, psychological, and social well being. Also affects how we feel, think, and act. It governs our behavior as of how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices.
If a person is suffering from heart disease or any other physical disease, they can say it openly, without being judged. But at the same place, if a person’s mental health is not good, they try to hide it due to fear of judgments. They even hide it to such an extent that they do not pay a visit to a clinic.
This type of situation not only leads to enhancement in their sufferings but also cause problems in dealing with day to day activities.
Various types of mental issues are:-
- Depression – It is a mood disorder mainly caused by sadness, anger, and loss. It affects the daily routine of an individual.
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) – In PTSD, one suffers from the shock of the events happened in the past life. It causes anxiety and panic attacks.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder(OCD) – In OCD, people get obsessive thoughts due to which compulsions arise. These thoughts cause anxiety, depression, and panic attacks.
- Panic Disorder(panic attacks) – It is a type of disorder in which the person gets panic attacks for situations that do not exist or of unknown fear.
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)– When a person experiences excessive stress about several different things, that causes them anxiety and depression which is known as GAD.
- Specific Phobias– It relates to a situation that amounts to unreasonable fear related to exposure to a specific object or situation.
Many steps were taken to eradicate mental illness. Big corporate giants and celebrities have donated millions and have run campaigns for the mental health cause. For instance, Justin Bieber donated $100,000 to a fan in New York for a mental health awareness program. Snapchat has launched a tool which also aware of people for mental health conditions.
Several factors for mental illness are childhood abuse, trauma, social isolation, poverty, debt, experiencing discrimination, stigma, long term stress, long term physical condition, unemployment, losing the job, losing someone close to you, etc.
For spreading the awareness and removing the stigma related to the mental issue, mental health foundation and clinics have been launched. These organizations help people through understanding and protecting their mental health. They also provide different types of treatment for the patients.
So, if you or any of your relatives facing such symptoms, contact professionals and stay healthy!